It’s almost impossible to hate BB-8, the lovable droid that stars in two of the latest additions to the Star Wars franchise, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Even though his design seems fundamentally flawed (a metal sphere with traction?), he is undeniably cute and is an amazingly loyal companion.
Turns out Poe isn’t the only man in the galaxy lucky enough to have BB-8 as a sidekick. You can have your own mini BB-8 too!
YOU WILL NEED
- 3D printer, we used this one
- Wood-infused filament, we used this one
- Orange and silver permanent markers to colour in designs*
- Dark brown powder or chalk to scrape
- Thin black permanent marker to outline panels and draw details
- Plastic surface to use as a palette, a yoghurt lid works well
- Small paintbrush for details and medium paintbrush for large spaces
- White and black acrylic craft paint
We downloaded and printed this design by Deltareactor3D. They did an amazing job modelling a miniature BB-8! I suggest using a wood-infused filament when 3D printing so that the acrylic paint sets properly. We printed two just in case.
I would argue that acrylic craft paint is the best to use. It’s relatively cheap, easy to work with and dries matte pretty fast. I used Craftsmart which can be found at Michael’s Craft Store. Any brand name of acrylic paint will work, some better than others. My favourite affordable paintbrushes are these, which are soft and come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
I chose to use permanent markers for part of this project so that BB-8’s details are clean and precise. *You can use orange and silver paint instead if preferred.
- Paint the whole droid white first and wait for it to dry completely before adding the details
- Add the silver aspects before the orange ones to make clean up easier
- Seal BB-8 with a satin finish for a polished look. Test on a small area first to make sure it doesn’t ruin your hard work
- For movie accuracy, the photoreceptor can be coated with a glossy finish
HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR NEW DROID
Congratulations, you now have your very own droid! Owning a droid is not an easy task– they have feelings too. Once the paint is dry, make sure to treat him well! Give him a name or better yet, sell him for extra food rations.
BB-8 is a loyal friend and accomplice in times of need. Not to mention, he makes the perfect gift for any Star Wars fan!
May the Force be with you!